Fresh Start Checking
A Second Chance to Bank Responsibly
Fresh Start Checking Account Details
- This account is perfect for those who need a second chance at banking because of closures at other financial institutions, denied checking accounts because of ChexSystems reporting, or any less-than-perfect banking history.
- Get your direct deposit up to 2 days early*
- $20 monthly service fee
- Courtesy Pay¹
- Opening deposit minimum: $25
How to Get Back on Your Feet
To be eligible to convert your Fresh Start Checking to another Neighborhood Credit Union checking account complete the following:
- Six months of satisfactory account history
- AND completion of the online CheckRight educational course,(Opens in a new Window) where you receive a certificate once complete
An online, self-study program that allows you to learn at your own pace and test your knowledge on checking accounts. After receiving your course certificate, contact us to assist you in converting your checking account. Visit the CheckRight(Opens in a new Window) page to learn more or begin the course.
Open now Request a call back
Depending on your employer, you can get your direct deposit up to 2 days earlier than payday with a Neighborhood Credit Union checking account.
*Neighborhood Credit Union may give early access to direct deposit funds from your employer, payments and credits into your account, or government deposits and payments depending on when the deposit or payment file is submitted to Neighborhood CU. Weekends or bank holidays may affect the posting date. As a result, the availability or timing of early direct deposit may vary from pay period to pay period. Fraud prevention restrictions may apply and delay early availability of funds. Early availability is not guaranteed. Additional restrictions may apply.
The MoneyPass and Allpoint ATM Networks allows our members the ability to withdraw cash at over 90,000 ATMs nationwide without a surcharge fee.
GreenPath Financial Wellness
With free access to money management and financial education services, GreenPath is a non-profit that partners with you to achieve your financial goals.
Earn Cash, Refer Friends
Whenever you refer family or friends who do not have a membership with us you'll receive $100.00* when they open a new member checking account.
Use your Neighborhood CU debit and credit cards to pay digitally on your devices with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Google Pay, and more.
Send Money with Zelle®
Zelle is a fast, safe and easy way to send and request money. Funds are sent directly to an account, and all you need is the recipient's email or U.S. cell number.
Want to compare our accounts side by side?
Click the "Compare Accounts" button to explore in-depth.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a less-than-perfect banking history (which includes problems with ChexSystems or being denied a checking account at other banks), you may be eligible to open a Fresh Start Checking account at Neighborhood Credit Union to get a second chance at fixing your banking history. You will have full access to Online Banking, the MyNCU Mobile app, our membership benefits and convenience services, and would be eligible for courtesy pay overdraft protection after 60 days.
Keep in mind that you have the opportunity to convert your Fresh Start Checking account to one of our free checking accounts after 6 months of satisfactory performance and completing the CheckRight course.
Yes. Courtesy Pay is available to qualified members after 2 days and overdraft fees apply. See Rates & Fees page for current fees.
After six (6) months of satisfactory performance, you may be eligible to convert the Fresh Start checking account to another checking option.
To be eligible to convert your Fresh Start checking to another checking option, you must:
- have no more than three (3) items returned as non-sufficient funds or no more than three (3) paid under the courtesy pay/overdraft program; or a total of no more than three (3) non-sufficient funds returns and courtesy paid items during the six months.
- have no charge-back or returned deposits.
- complete the CheckRight course and download your completion certificate. Visit the CheckRight page for more details.