Text Messaging Scam Alert
October 2020: Our main priority is members' safety, and Neighborhood Credit Union will never initiate communication and then ask for your personal information via phone, text, or email. If you receive a phone call, text, or email from us that seems suspicious, please do not hesitate to alert us by calling 214-748-9393.
Recently, there have been several fraud losses reported across the country. The losses have ranged from $30,000 up to $2 million. Neighborhood Credit Union launched Zelle earlier this month and wants to make sure members are aware of specific scams and general fraud practices so they can better protect themselves.
How does the scam work?
- The fraudster will tell members over the phone that they will send a passcode via text message, and the members must provide the passcode over the phone. The fraudsters then attempt a transaction that triggers a 2-step verification passcode, such as using the “forgot password” feature or initiating a person-to-person payment transaction, and the passcode is sent to the members via text or email who, in turn, provide it to the fraudsters.
- The fraudsters may ask the member to download the AnyDesk or TeamViewer QuickSupport app. From there, the fraudster has access to the member's computer and accounts. Once access is gained, the fraudsters will transfer money out of the member's account.
Do Not Download QuickSupport or AnyDesk
What is an Impostor Scam?
How to Protect Yourself
- Never provide personal information or verification codes to anyone who calls, texts, or emails you out of the blue.
- Separately dial your financial institution rather than redialing the number that called you.
- Never download the AnyDesk or QuickSupport app per the instructions of a person on the phone.
If fraud is suspected on your account, we will contact you via alerts outlined in this article.
Who We Are
As an active part of the community for 90 years, Neighborhood Credit Union is a not-for-profit financial organization serving the state of Texas with branch locations in Collin, Dallas, Denton, and Ellis counties, as well as the city of Arlington. With assets topping $1 billion, Neighborhood Credit Union has a continuously growing membership of 56,000. For more information, call (214) 748-9393 or visit our homepage.